What are Flexidentures (Valplast)?
Flexi-dentures are a relatively new development in denture materials. The teeth are attached to a slightly flexible gum coloured denture base which extends to make the clasps. They provide a metal free alternative to the partial denture equation.Valplast TM and Flexite TM are the most popular types of flexi- denture.
How they Work?
Stability and retention come from the very close fit of the denture, and the flexible gum coloured clasps that extend from the denture to tightly grip the natural teeth.
Like acrylic dentures, they are a ‘mucosal borne denture’- meaning they get support from sitting on your ridges.
What are their Advantages?
- Easy to adapt to
- Comfortable to wear
- Smaller and thinner than acryic dentures
- Great grip (retention) much better than acrylic dentures
- Look great- blend very naturally with your gums
- Contain no metal
- Good chewing experience
- Slightly flexible
- Don’t require as much muscle control as acrylic
- Very close fitting and precise
- Almost unbreakable
- Provide good confidence in wearing
- Can be tightened at home using hot water- see valplast aftercare instructions.
What are their Disadvantages?
- More expensive
- Less hygienic than a Cobalt chrome denture
- Changes cannot be made- no relines, tooth additions etc. so will need to be remade if problems occur and when they lose their fit over time.
- Sometimes difficult to take in and out (this obviously has its advantages)
- Require special cleaning
- May need to cover the palate if teeth are missing on both sides – this affects telling temperature and the chewing experience. An alternative is two small dentures one for either side
- If replacing a single tooth are small and easily misplaced.
- Where the mouth is unlikely to change
- Great for a single missing tooth at the side or back (premolars/molars)
- In patients where muscle control is compromised but not dexterity- for putting them in and taking them out
- Where allergy to metal or metal free denture desired
- As a thinner more grippy alternative to acrylic dentures when many teeth have been lost.