How should I Care for my Mouth after having my Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Caring for your mouth after a wisdom tooth extraction is just like any other extraction. If you have had severely impacted wisdom teeth removed surgically, then considerable swelling and a ‘hamster face’ may result- icing can play an important part in reducing this inflammation.
There may be some additional considerations if you have had a general anaesthetic or sedation but otherwise the aftercare instructions are the same; aimed at getting a good healthy clot to form and have you heal up nice and quickly.
Extraction aftercare should help to answer any questions you may have, such as
- Do I need to come back?
- What painkillers (analgesics) should I take?
- Do I need antibiotics after my wisdom tooth extraction?
- How do I know it is healing?
- What problems might I get afterwards?
- How long will recovery take? Do I need time off?
- Can I exercise?
- What can I eat?
- Should I use mouthwash?
- What should I do if it bleeds?