The main way your diet can affect your teeth is by causing tooth decay or dental caries
. It can also cause tooth wear
so make sure you check out our section on(see preventing tooth wear
The biggest problem is:
THE FREQUENCY OF YOUR SUGAR INTAKE DURING THE DAY
8 Diet rules to help prevent decay:
- Avoid sugary snacks between meals (most of the time); eating more at meal times will help do this
- Avoid sugary drinks between meals (most of the time); drink water instead
- Group sugary things with your meals (most of the time); particularly sugary drinks and sugary dessert type treats
- Limit refined sugars; that is chocolate, sweets, biscuits, ice cream, pastries etc. (i.e. not everyday, unless with meals)
- Substitute sugar in coffee and tea with a non-sugar alternative/ sweetener
- Keep sugar clear of night-time- nothing sugary right before bed and definitely nothing sugary during the night
- Drink sugary drinks such as sodas, juices and iced tea through a straw
- Drink water after a sugary intake to wash help wash it down.
That's it- I'm not perfect and I don't expect you to be. Just be good most of the time.
The reasons behind each of these can be demonstrated on the Stephan curve
- If you haven't already looked at this section, do it. Everything will become clear !